12 January 2009

Home surgery for fun and profit

When I last left our story readers, I was awaiting the return of my Porsche - with upgraded coilovers and roll bars. There was a small diversion when the shop determined that the car also needed front rotors and pads, requiring an extra day or so for the parts to arrive, but now the fun begins.
The fun, such as it is, is to tune the settings that were left in rough form at the garage. For reasons of time and cost, I asked the PVG folks to return the car to me before they could complete the lowering/adjusting process. So I thought, 'well, how hard could that be?'. You're about to find out.
I want to restate that the PVG folks are great to deal with. And the day I was there, there was an incredibly eclectic collection of cars sprinkled around the shop and lot: a Shelby GT350, a 1980's Rolls Royce, a 1980's Maserati, an original Mini and many others. I assume that they upload the skillset to work on these things a la 'The Matrix'. No other way they could know all this stuff.
A few Porsche blog forum readers have asked me to lay out the process I used to lower/balance the car. I'm happy to do so, but please remember that I'm a complete rookie and amateur at all this, that I have no previous experience doing this and thus likely didn't use the Porsche standard techniques to complete this process.
OTOH, it was a great opportunity to do the things that appeal to the 'XY' chromosome set: play with tools, cars and watch NFL playoff football - all while in my garage on an unusually warm northern California day.
So, taking a wrench to a big dollar sports car? What could go wrong?? :)

Before I go on, here's a photo or two:

Stock ride height:



The parts (there are three other coilovers in the box - promise):

No comments: